Following the success of Yamaha’s 2015 MT-09 Tracer, we have long been awaiting an MT-07-based version of the sports tourer. Now it’s here.
Today, Yamaha have lifted the covers off the all new Tracer 700 – a sports tourer based on their best-selling MT-07 and if it’s anything like it’s triple cylinder brother, it’s bound to impress.
Powered by Yamaha’s torquey 698cc parallel twin motor, producing 75bhp at 9,000rpm, the Tracer 700 looks set to pack the sports performance of an MT-07 with a bit of added comfort for longer distance riding.
The Tracer gets a 50mm longer swinging arm than that on the MT-07 to increase stability at higher cruising speeds especially when riding two up and with luggage. Both front and rear suspension systems get revised settings for ‘smooth and responsive’ characteristics in a variety of conditions.
Despite the comfort-led chassis refinements, a wet weight if 196kg highlights the efforts Yamaha have gone to stick to the sporty philosophy of their best-selling MT range.
A long range 17 litre fuel tank, manually adjustable screen and wind defecting knuckle guards add to the Tracer’s ability to eat up the miles on tour.
The dual LED headlights give it a similar look and feel to its bigger brother, the Tracer 900 (MT-09 Tracer).
The Tracer 700 will come in three different colour options – radical red, Yamaha blue and tech black – and be available in Yamaha dealers from July this year at a bargain price of £6,299.
In line with the announcement, Yamaha will rename the MT-09 Tracer the Tracer 900 and move both the Tracer 700 and 900 into their sports touring segment, providing a direct progression route from Tracer 700 to the recently revised flagship FJR1300.
Tracer 700 Technical Highlights
- 689cc, DOHC, 4-valve, twin cylinder, fuel-efficient engine
- ‘Crossplane philosophy’ design for a deep & linear torque
- 55.0 kW (74.8PS) @ 9,000 rpm
- 68.0 Nm (6.9 kg-m) @ 6,500 rpm
- Tubular backbone frame with aluminium swinging arm
- 1450mm wheelbase
- 196 kg wet weight
- Long-range 17 litre fuel tank
- Manually adjustable screen with optional high screen
- Wind deflecting integrated knuckle guards
- Dual headlights with LED position lights
- Stepped one-piece dual seat with grab rail
- 845mm seat height
- Lightweight 10-spoke cast aluminium wheels
- Digital instrumentation with full LED display
- Dual 282mm front discs with 4-pot calipers and ABS
- 130mm front and rear suspension stroke